Home > Taking Action > Applying for an Anti-Social Behaviour Order

Applying for an Anti-Social Behaviour Order

By: Jeff Durham - Updated: 13 Nov 2020 | comments*Discuss
Asbo Anti-social Behaviour Parenting

Anti-social behaviour orders or ‘ASBOs’, as they have become more commonly known, were introduced in 1999 as a measure which the courts could take in an effort to stop a person(s) continuing with behaviour which would be likely to cause further distress or alarm to other members of a local community. These orders are aimed at those whose behaviour persists in being disruptive and/or threatening to the rest of the community as a whole. Many people Deal With Anti-Social Behaviour on a regular basis and it is important to know what action can be taken.

Can I Apply for an Anti-Social Behaviour Order Myself?

As an individual, you cannot apply for an ASBO to be imposed upon another individual or group of people who are causing problems to you or your local community as a whole. Only the courts can issue ASBOs.

However, if you believe your Neighbours Are Acting In An Anti-Social Manner, you can approach your local authority and/or your landlord or housing association and report any problems to them, They are the relevant organisations who will investigate matters and, if they think it is necessary, they will get the police involved. Following consultation with the police, they can then apply to the courts to issue an ASBO, although in many cases, they will seek to find an alternative resolution first of all in trying to resolve the anti-social behaviour without resorting to serving an ASBO.

All local authorities will have some kind of anti-social behaviour team in place who will work in conjunction with the police on what are often termed ‘anti-social behaviour strategies’. These teams look at other ways of tackling the problems associated with anti-social behaviour and try to come up with other solutions to the problem before going down the road of applying to serve an ASBO on somebody.

Anti-social behaviour contracts and parenting orders (for younger offenders) are just two of the alternatives that might be used before issuing somebody with an ASBO, and these are discussed in more detail within another article contained on this website.

Do They Only Apply To Youths?

An ASBO will usually follow if all other means of trying to rectify the behaviour of the person(s) involved has failed. They can actually be issued to anybody, regardless of age (as long as you are 10 and above), regardless of where you live, and no matter whether or not you’re living in private or rented accommodation.

In fact, you do not even have to be living within the community itself. You may reside in another area entirely or have no fixed address, but if you are causing a problem to residents in another locality, you could still have an ASBO served upon you. It should also be pointed out, however, that people who are served with an ASBO also have the right to appeal against the decision.

What if the Local Authority Refuses to Take Action?

A council, local authority, registered landlord or private housing association has a mandatory obligation to investigate any complaint you may make with regards to issues of anti-social behaviour. However, following their investigations, they might decide that an ASBO is not the most appropriate solution for the problem you are experiencing. If that is the case, they should write to you explaining the reasons for their decision.

If you wish to take matters further, you can contact the local authority’s anti-social behaviour team and, if appropriate, you might decide to go through your local authority’s formal complaints procedure. You could even contact the independent local government ombudsman, as a last resort, who will investigate the way your complaint has been handled and will either decide to come down on your side and ask for the decision to be reviewed or, equally, they can decide to agree with the local authority’s original decision.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Neighbors smoke under my bedroom window . Then they spit into my front garden . What can I do . I’ve approached them , but their English is minimal .
Lin - 13-Nov-20 @ 10:44 AM
I read with interest the plea from Trouble, 5th August as I have the same problem with my neighbour I.e. pigeons, crows, magpies and rats. There is no use in trying to discuss the matter with her as she is totally unapproachable, even abusive. Please advise as it is driving me mad.
Going Potty - 14-Sep-20 @ 9:49 AM
I have a neighbour who insists on feeding pigeons. At times I can have up to 45 pigeons sat on my roof and my son is having to clean my gutters every month due to the amount of pigeon muck in them my windows are never clean because as soon as I’ve cleaned them they have pigeon muck back on them , I have to sweep the front off my house every day to keep on top of the mess. I’ve spoke to the neighbour and he doesn’t care just continues. So much so he can stand there and throw the food out and the pigeons fly down whilst he’s there . I’ve been in touch with the local council and they wrote to him to say he had to stop but he didn’t , I’ve been in touch with the local MP who’s been in touch with him and he told him he doesn’t feed them all this time I keep getting photos of him feeding them . This is starting to effect me now as it seems he can get away with what ever . We even had rats over Christmas because off this and that hasn’t made him stop . Any help on dealing with this would be grateful
Trouble - 5-Aug-20 @ 6:33 PM
We reported loud music being played day and night so loud the whole terrace could hear it. You sent a letter and it stopped for a little while but it’s all started up again even louder andSo we really now need to go and get this sorted as it’s not doing my wife’s Health any good we have tried asking nicely to turn it down but get told to ###k off. My phone number is 07500777505
Annoyed - 23-Jul-20 @ 1:51 PM
How can i stop no 4 HIBBERD WAY BH104EL from smoking cannabis. Please help.
None - 25-Apr-20 @ 10:23 AM
Our neighbours have been smoking cannabis since they moved in 4 years ago, the housing association know about it, the police have been informed on many occasions and have incident numbers, have been in contact with my MP, but nothing gets done, the smell comes into my kitchen, sitting room and back bedroom, which is used by the grandchildrenwhen they come to stay.We have tried to talk to them but it is pointless, I do not know where to go now.We have done everything the housing people have asked us to do, filling in anti social behaviour forms, report it to the police, but nothing.
JAN - 6-Mar-20 @ 3:02 PM
Employees of city councils and housing associations a lot of the time do not give a toss about tenants of theirs suffering antisocial abuse. It means work for them and thats the last thing they want. If they become victims of antisocial behaviour via new tenants next door they will soon act. Im alright Jack is still in place.
Dont possess one - 22-Nov-19 @ 10:38 PM
I livebon a smsll estate near camberley and as a neibour get to gether nearly allntthe residents and memembersvofbthe. Dorect nearby public need which we sll believe to haveva third asbo or warning on his person at his address of gu16 surrey Most nightes the continual smashing of his flat abusing andd verbully foul mothing and tormenting his loyal lovely dog. Continually has to now be deslt with snd maybeba reason to the.hosingb authorities to remove mrnherrbert who is continuingnto do sll the sbvve whilst.neomg paraketicbon drugs amd akchohol
Full - 12-Nov-19 @ 2:14 AM
My neighbour has thrown insults at us (some racist) as a family for years, makes loud noise at all times of day and night and then complains if we make the slightest noise, tells everyone lots of lies about us so others stop speaking to us, parks in front of our drive, blocks all the communal parking, is rude and inconsiderate, has violently verbally and physically assaulted myself and verbally assaulted my 8 year old. The police refuse to act, and the council refuses to act. All they've done is disclose my full complaint to my neighbour, which has actually just ramped up her abusive behaviour. On the council website it states that antisocial behaviour is taken seriously and quickly dealt with, yet the council and police refuse to act, and I therefore see them as complicit in the racist abuse and maltreatment directed at myself and my family. Our landlord has attempted to contact the neighbours landlord, but to no avail.
Universe - 27-Aug-19 @ 10:11 AM
My next door neighbour calls her cat in it starts at 11 pm every night and goes on passed midnight till the cat comes home. I’ve getting over a cancer operation and I need rest. Every night she wakes me up and I can’t get back to sleep until she stops shouting at the top of her voice for her cat. It means I can’t go to bed before midnight even on days I had treatment or going to have treatment. I’ve asked her nicely to please call the cat earlier, she won’t and she just gets louder. Plus every time she comes out to call the cat about every ten minutes she slams her back door that shakes my windows. It’s a nightmare I just want to get some sleep and have an early night. Help what do I do
Peggy - 15-Jul-19 @ 11:31 PM
My next door neighbour at 17 hindon walkis reallybad and racisttowards me and is discriminating againstme he is abusivlybangingon walls and talks bad aboutme to others and even do mischief he don't knowhow to stop harassing me and alwaysbully and I tried complainingagainsthim but he only gets worse
Feeling blue - 14-Jul-19 @ 5:43 PM
I have been living in my property for 4 months and have been having problems with my neighbour i have done all the right things by the book and seeked help from my housing group but they have not done nothing about it. This has been going on since the minute we moved in constant banging,screaming,slamming and being rude and abusive if i have confronted the person i have reported it to the police but still no action has been taken me and my partner work full time and have 2dogs that have also been very unsettled due to the noise and problems we have been having. can i please have some further assistance on howi can stop or resolve these issues. Thanks
Tay - 28-Feb-19 @ 4:45 PM
forhousing ellesmere port as landlords are just an absolute waste of time and go out there way to make your life and your neighbours a misery? great
zorch - 13-Nov-18 @ 10:48 PM
About 3 years ago a bunch of guys moved in to a house on Norwich Walk in Edgware, I live just around the corner from them. Most nights they have their music on full volume up till around 2am. We have complained and the police have turned up, they reduce the volume then put it back up once the police have gone. Aside from this they have a lot of visitors to the house and insist on having 'conversations' in public. The driveway is littered with their rubbish which ends up at the end of the road near my house.
dave roth - 5-Nov-18 @ 9:33 PM
My neighbours children act like my bedroom is their policy and worries me as it’s so perdandic that’bthey can defenturate between myself and flat mates walking and not only that accusation of myself talking through the wall at them like a paedofile which is totally the opposite especially I work in education and have been abused as a child. But it’s the curse language from the kids to me due to someone from the council grassing me up,this has ceased my relationships casual or long term and have me going for medication. The parents don’t help as they say they cannot control their 3 or 2 year old and not only that the father and I had a one night stand and he pretended his alias when I first moved in which obviously escalated to now please what do I do ?
Bobo - 22-Oct-18 @ 7:07 PM
We are a middle aged married couple private home owners living above a flat managed by the local council with council renters. We had previously two neighbours from hell for years ,they were abusive, and unnecessarily noisy and rude; they finally moved away a few months ago. Now we got another set of neighbours from hell once more!! This time is even worse, two inconsiderate 20 years old teenagers with a one and something year old screaming toddler..it`s a total living hell. They are all up at 6.30 in the morning every day including the weekends, they stomp and run around the house all day and evening, the kid screaming at the top of his lungs most of the day and the night !! They slam doors and windows on a daily basis. One of them has a part time job and he is out only when they get work, the other is at home all day/night with their brat toddler. They are costantly at home at the weekends too despite having family members nearby to go to, which means not peace! We wrote a polite letter, talked to their father, we tried to talk to them about keeping down their noise.. nothing seems to work, and it is so frustrating. The house has concrete thin walls, absolutely everything can be heard.We are at our wits end - I can`t take this anymore.I suffer of sleep deprivation and stress because of this. We are overtired and unhappy, we cannot enjoy our home. They are disrupting our lives. I am desperate to move away from this hell ..even thinking of renting somewhere as long as it is a peaceful place. We work from home and the costs to move are prohibitive (we live in one of the most expensive countries and areas in the world, south east England, so not that simple.) We`re working on a solution and maybe in a very soon future.
Mrs M. - 15-Oct-18 @ 1:21 PM
I have an adjoining neighbour who has all night parties (8pm until and I’m not joking as I’m sitting through one now 8am!!!) when I say party, I mean drunken youngsters, swearing, shouting, banging and crashing around plus the music - a bass so loud it vibrates the furniture, through the floor and coupled with the constant slamming of doors has even brought plaster off the ceilings!!! She has a toddler which she palms off on to anyone who’ll look after her, screams obscenities at said toddler constantly - she’s frankly vile! HA will do nothing (Waterloo housing - so be warned) council are monitoring and police have been round once to ask her to turn it down, all to no avail. It’s been 18months I’m exhausted, at times suicidal and feel abandoned by the authorities. Myself, my lovely son and Labrador just want to live in peace in a house I work very hard to keep ?? we regularly have to pack up during the night and stay with friends - I work full time and have to drive on the motorway to get there and when you have literally no sleep at all it’s either booking emergency leave or risk killing myself or worse someone else whilst I’m driving utterly exhausted.The stress is unbelievable- the situation is now life threatening and you’re completely alone with no way out (I can’t afford private rent)
Tara - 11-Oct-18 @ 10:17 PM
To cut long story short the new neighbours upstairs moved 12 days ago. They are very loud and moving stuff around till 3 am. We can hear their noise and we cannot sleep. I have young daughter who had epilepsy. Two consecutives nights from 10 PM till 2 am they are very noisy. I went upstairs to explain the situation and requested them to keep their noise down they didnt care and continued their noise. I have left letter for them explaining my daughter has epilepsy and requested them to keep the noise down after 10PM. They continued with the noise the next day. My poor child had seizures both nights which i believe lack of sleep was the cause of her seizures. I contacted the estate agent who rented the flat to us and them and they said they will speak with them. The noise continued and to.top.it all they started their washing machine at 1 am and we woke up again. I called 101 but the police guy said there is nothing he can do for me. I am desperate and helpless. What shall i do? Thanks
Maryam - 3-Oct-18 @ 3:29 AM
I have made many complaints to police , landlords etc with still no result ,what has go happen before we got help
Cherry - 13-Aug-18 @ 12:57 AM
I have had new neighbours move in a year ago in the first month the wife come out her house cursing at me for not introducing my self to them we had an argument and she drove off in her car, they have now been burning items in their garden, drive over my front garden using my drop curb I have paid for to access the front of their garden, they argue till all hours of the morning waking me up wheb i have to work, I have recently learnt she's not declaringhim living there so they are commuting benefit fraud but my landlord is letting them get away with it I'm 7 months pregnant and I'm afraid when the baby comes they will be waking her up and burning things all day so I can't open my Windows
Louie - 4-Mar-18 @ 4:29 PM
My family has been seriously harassed by young kids and some teenagers, we feel like we’re being targeted leaving my family feeling terrified. I have contacted the guards but nothing they have done also i do have information on who these kids are i just need advice to take this matter further.
Luke - 17-Jan-18 @ 2:50 AM
My neighbours and I have been having problems with my antisocial drunken neighbour and friends for 3 1/2 years. We've made statements, petitions, formal complaints and still my Landlord and police fail to act. They say they will put a written warning in place and then retract it a couple of months later. Our whole community is being ignored. I have been the main target since I have to live next door to it. Loud music, drunken shouting and arguing, (all during unsocial hours 11am - 7am, coming on to my property in a threatening manner and calling me derogative names aimed at my gender, shouting abuse, banging on adjoining wall, banging on external windows and kicking walls throughout night, slamming doors and making their dogs bark throughout the night, vandalising the communal garden. I wrote to the Housing Ombudsman, Local government ombudsman only to find out that these organisations are neither fair or impartial, as they only consider the landlords evidence, (who can say just about anything, & withhold information). The sheer scale of corruption is beyond belief and these are organisations that the taxpayer funds, they also have no powers of enforcement. My MP says it's not his jurisdiction to enforce council policy, and he's too busy to meet up with us (his constituents) who pay his wages. This was going on long before I moved here according to the previous tenant. Our landlord is ignoring us and the police are useless, they tell us 4 hours to turn up to our calls and then never show, never go round there to warn him about his behaviour when they do turn up. We have come to the conclusion that someone must be taking a backhander somewhere and knows this man. It's the only conclusion when a whole community is ignored in favour of him. I've been on exchange list since this all started, only to find most people on the exchange register are looking to get away from their own antisocial neighbours! So when we are told that the Landlord and police are strict on antisocial behavior, we can say we have never heard so much rubbish. Bigger problem is the Landlord tells him when they are going to put recording equipment in, so he up and leaves the property, the landlord refuses to act on him then "not using his property as his permanent address," which is a breach in his tenancy agreement. In fact our landlord is using breaches in its own tenancy agreement to end antisocial behaviour cases, as the tenant leaves and the case is closed after 3 months, so when the antisocial nightmare returns they open a NEW case, and as I've said this nightmare has gone on for 31/2 years now. The ombudsman concluded in its investigation that the person not living at the address had no reflection on the fact that they'd been no reports of antisocial behaviour within that time and so supporting the breach in tenancy, "utter lunancy." Believe me, my neighbours and I have exhausted every procedure only to find out the landlord, the police do not care, please u
titch - 29-Dec-17 @ 3:10 PM
how many times do you have to do things wrong to get an asbo
dmead2002 - 12-Dec-17 @ 2:35 PM
Sharon- Your Question:
Hello, Your site requires updating ASBO's were replaced under the ASBCPA 14 and can no longer be applied for. You make no mention or reference to the Community Trigger which was introduced for Victims to escalate their complaint if they feel no action is being taken. Thank you

Our Response:
We're in the process of updating this and our othe ASBO articles please be patient with us.
ProblemNeighbours - 17-Nov-17 @ 11:13 AM
Hello, Your site requires updating ASBO's were replaced under the ASBCPA 14 and can no longer be applied for. You make no mention or reference to the Community Trigger which was introduced for Victims to escalate their complaint if they feel no action is being taken. Thank you
Sharon - 16-Nov-17 @ 12:24 PM
Crankshaft - Your Question:
My Daughter lives in a block of 5 flats. 1 of the other residents rents a flat, and his nephew squats in a small caravan in the communal garden. He takes electricity from the communal electricity supply without permission, via an extension lead.He's a convicted rapist with previous convictions for drugs and violence.He should not even be there but he parks old untaxed cars there and has been witnessed dealing drugs.He sometimes has friends staying there and uses the garden as a toilet.There is also a lot of mail with fictitious names/ businesses and false flat numbers, coming to the address.We've told the police/ council/ environmental health and fire brigade. We get passed round in circles and they say " it's a civil matter"We don't know who to go to. It's being going on for several yearsLo

Our Response:
Is she renting? Is the landlord not prepared to act? If she feels the authorities have not dealt with this effectively enough, it might be worth asking her MP for advice on who else can help in her area (they might also be able to put pressure on the authorities etc).
ProblemNeighbours - 3-Nov-17 @ 3:42 PM
My Daughter lives in a block of 5 flats. 1 of the other residents rents a flat, and his nephew squats in a small caravan in the communal garden. He takes electricity from the communal electricity supply without permission, via an extension lead. He's a convicted rapist with previous convictions for drugs and violence. He should not even be there but he parks old untaxed cars there and has been witnessed dealing drugs.He sometimes has friends staying there and uses the garden as a toilet. There is also a lot of mail with fictitious names/ businesses and false flat numbers, coming to the address. We've told the police/ council/ environmental health and fire brigade. We get passed round in circles and they say " it's a civil matter" We don't know who to go to. It's being going on for several yearsLo
Crankshaft - 3-Nov-17 @ 1:54 PM
Jenny- Your Question:
I would like to know what I can do about my neighbours theres always antisocial behaviour going on. police are always coming out to same address. ive told landlord and he just dosnt listen and nothing gets done frustrating

Our Response:
Have you reported it to the police or local authority yourself? They have powers to deal with antisocial behaviour if it's reported.
ProblemNeighbours - 14-Aug-17 @ 2:38 PM
i would like to know what i can do about my neighbours theres always antisocial behaviour going on . police are always coming out to same address . ive told landlord and he just dosnt listen and nothing gets done frustrating
Jenny - 12-Aug-17 @ 12:41 PM
its all very well you telling us what we can do, the problem is that no one listens ie: environmental dept, housing officers, etc; they all pass it on to the next dept and it just goes round in circles, even the police say its up to the council to deal with. Ive now become a prisoner in my own home and the intimidation and harassment continues!!!
Tyjen - 13-Jul-17 @ 8:08 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments