Home > Rights > Your Rights Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000

Your Rights Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000

By: Jeff Durham - Updated: 18 May 2023 | comments*Discuss
Freedom Of Information Act Rights Under

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 applies to all public authorities such as local and central government, schools, universities and colleges, the police, the NHS and many other public and advisory bodies and committees. Any information which is out there in the public domain can be requested regardless of your age, nationality or where you currently live.

How Do I Ask for the Information?

You have to request information from a public authority in writing, be that by letter or in email form. You need to include your name, address and email details (where applicable) and you should also try to be as specific as possible in terms of what information you’re seeking. An example might be where you want to find out more about a planning application from a housing development company that has been granted which might affect your local community.

In that sort of situation, you need to contact your local authority’s planning department and, rather than simply ask them to send you all the information they have about company X, you will need to ask them for a copy of the minutes of the particular meeting where the decision to grant planning permission to company X was made.

What are Their Obligations to Me?

If you request information from a public authority or similar body, they must comply with this request and provide you with the relevant information you’re seeking within 20 working days, which will usually equate to about a month. If the issue is complex and they need more time to gather all the information you’ve asked for, they must still contact you within 20 working days to tell you this, the reasons why they need the additional time, and give you a date by which you can expect to receive the information.

Are there any Costs Involved?

Many requests for information are supplied for free or, in some cases, you may need to pay a small administrative fee for the cost of photocopied documents and postage. If the issue is more complex and might require expenditure of over several hundred pounds on either central government or the public authority’s part, they do reserve the right to refuse your request or to ask you to modify it in terms of narrowing it down so that it is less costly for them to administer.

Can I Ask Them for any Kind of Information?

You can certainly ask but you may not be granted access to certain information. For example, where your request might compromise national security or a person’s health and safety, you could be refused. In such instances, however, if your request is turned down, the public authority must tell you in writing the reasons why.

Likewise, even if they are willing to supply you with most, but not all, of the information you have requested, they must advise you why they have withheld certain aspects of the information from you.

What if I Ask Them for Information about Me?

If you ask government or a public authority to supply you with information they hold about you personally, this is covered by the Data Protection Act and not the Freedom of Information Act. You do not have exactly the same rights under the Data Protection Act as you do under the Freedom of Information Act, although you still have the right to be given information held about you by such bodies. However, different charges apply and public authorities are permitted to take longer to answer your request.

What If They Refuse My Request?

If your request is refused, you do have the right of appeal. Usually, you would contact the public authority in question first and ask them to reconsider your request if you feel their refusal to provide you with the information is unreasonable. However, if the relevant body still refuses to supply you with the information, you can appeal to the independent Information Commissioner who will investigate matters further and, ultimately, he would be the person who would make the final decision.

If he thinks that the authority was wrong in refusing you access to the information you’ve requested, he can force the public authority to supply it to you. However, he can also come down on the side of the public authority and back their original decision, although he would need to also give you reasons why.

Other Issues

Information can be supplied in various forms. From sending you photocopies to versions in both audio and Braille, translations into other languages or simply allowing you to visit an office where you can gain access to the information there, you can request any of the above if it is available in different formats. Please bear in mind, however, that you may incur additional charges for this.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I live in a back to back terraced property & my Water supply runs from the next street under the property somehow,will the water board allow me to run a new supply through my neighbours cellar into mine.
Diddydoddy - 18-May-23 @ 12:45 PM
In heavy rain our next door neighbours gutters pour water onto our land front and back we have repeatedly asked them toput this right to no avail what can I do please
Saturated - 17-Jun-20 @ 1:31 PM
My house is a terrace town house onto open water at the rear, the short narrow gardens were built with a low hedge/fence to a terraced area leading onto open plan lawns. Over the tears many have continued the fence to the ends of the gardens al at about 3ft high. A new neighbour in the larger end house with a much bigger wider garden is proposing to install a 2m high hedge the length of his garden obscuring my wonderful views over an Harbour and cutting out sunlight to my lawn and patio. with fences both sides the garden is reduced to only 3.1m wide and most of the lawn will now be in shade. He is overlooked by flats and many windows from the other side and this gives him no privacy, is there anything I can do as he intends to proceed regardless of my calm friendly approach so far.
Pete - 29-Oct-16 @ 2:57 PM
We have a Deed of Easement on our Farm which fronts the Brand Highway, we also use this driveway and this allows our neighbours to traverse to their Property.We have stock on our farm and the Neighbours say we are Blocking the easement if our cows wander onto the easement.We lock the front gate when not home, they have a key to this padlock and have their own padlock.They say we a blocking by having the padlock in place.Also the rear boundary gate which is the entrance to their property, they are now not closing.Our cattle can get out into their property which is not fenced.What can we do.
Buzzy - 9-Apr-16 @ 7:44 AM
@jay. You could offer to help your neighbour re-erect the fence straight, explaining that it may not be following the original boundary line so might cause problems if he were to sell in the future.
ProblemNeighbours - 5-Aug-14 @ 1:35 PM
I live in a terraced property and my neighbour has just put up a new fence with concrete posts. He has put the first wooden post on my side of the wall and also made holes on a newly painted wall. As he goes further away from the building he has dug up my loan and put his concrete post on my side thus the fence is more on my side. And to Make things worse it's not in a straight line. The planters I previously had where the fence was are now almost falling in the loan he dug up on my side. He was aware that I was away because we had a bereavement in the family, and he took advantage of us being away. He had been previously told not to put the wooden post on my side which he had tied to the down pipe marking the fence line. The fence is all wonky and looks untidy. What are my options. I have talked to the home owner and a relative as well as the who approached me and explained the concerns.
Jay - 3-Aug-14 @ 11:42 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments